Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday to many. It is a time to slow down, reconnect with family and friends, enjoy good food, and of course delight in some special wine selections. Surrounded by loved ones on this most American holiday, every dining room has its own traditions that make this holiday beloved. To help simplify wine pairing for the massive meal, a challenging role for even the most avid wine enthusiast, the Cellar Angels team went in search of perfect selections to accompany a myriad of Thanksgiving meal medleys. There are two grape varietals widely known as ideal choices for a dinner so rich and diverse. Here is why Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are perfect picks for Thanksgiving wine and food pairings.
- ACID - A chardonnay with balanced acidity will pair exceptionally well with richer foods like potato gratin and creamed corn.
- FLAVOR - Selecting one slightly oaky (but not overly oaked) from barrel aging inserts character, along with Chardonnay's natural citrus and apple flavors, when pairing with dishes like potatoes and turkey.
- BODY - This varietal tends to be fuller-bodied for a white wine and will stand up to the heartier flavors of gravy and sweet potatoes.
- ACID - The natural acidity of Pinot Noir cuts through delicious butter and oils in dressings and casseroles.
- FLAVOR - The berry flavors are a natural match with cranberry sauce, turkey and even pumpkin pie. Additionally, this varietal tends to have an earthiness that accentuates root vegetables, squash and creamy soups.
- BODY - Lighter in body than a Cabernet or Merlot, Pinot noir will not overpower the delicate flavors of squash and mashed potatoes.
2019 Thanksgiving Wine Selections
This year your virtual sommelier recommends the .