Iron Horse Vineyards
Audrey and Barry Sterling founded this iconic winery in a not so iconic location at the time. In 1976 Green Valley was not only NOT an AVA, but it was rural Sonoma, a place grape growers had not really ventured yet.
Now a prospering and highly sought after AVA, Green Valley is home to Iron Horse Vineyards, a winery team that pride themselves on producing wines that are all about "place".
Perfectly situated 13 miles from the Pacific with gentle, rolling hills, the winery offers spectacular view clear across Sonoma County to Mount St. Helena. The predominant soil type is called “Goldridge”, a sandy loam with excellent drainage that is coveted for growing Pinot Noir, the grape used in most Iron Horse sparkling wines. The wines are elegant, bright, focused, highly nuanced, soft and silky. They exude quality and class as intended by the founders Audrey and Barry Sterling.
- Renowned for its sparkling wines which have been served at the White House for five consecutive Presidential Administrations, beginning with the historic Reagan-Gorbachev Summit Meetings ending the Cold War.
- Iron Horse has been named an American icon in “Icons of the American Market Place” published by Random House.
- Served at the White House Millennium celebration's New Year’s Eve 1999, ushering in the new century.
- Poured at the White House dinner honoring Pope John Paul on his 80th birthday.
- Featured at the 2011 State Dinner honoring the Queen of England at the Ambassador’s Residence, Winfield House, in London.
- Served at the dinner President Obama hosted for the President of China in Southern California in June 2013.
- The Iron Horse Rainbow Cuvee was served at The White House’s annual LGBT event in June 2015.
On this SIP Virtual Wine Tasting episode we talked with Partner and CEO Joy Anne Sterling of Iron Horse Vineyards. Joy told the story of her parents falling in love with the French culture and lifestyle, buying the property in 1976 and establishing Iron Horse Vineyards in 1979. Decades later the area became the Green Valley sub-appellation of Russian River Valley.
Watch our interview to learn about the upcoming release of Iron Horse Vineyards Gratitude Cuvee and Iron Horse Vineyards Resilience Cuvee.
For more SIP Virtual Wine Tasting episodes click here.
SIP Virtual Wine Tastings air LIVE on Zoom and Facebook Live every Friday at 5pm PT!
Region: Green Valley, Sonoma County, CA