Region: Mayacamas Range, Sonoma County, CA
Special Wine Club Selection!
- Color: medium ruby
- Aromas: wild blackberry pie, Good & Plenty candy, dust, eucalyptus, a hint of green pepper
- Palate: luscious black cherry, well integrated tannin, lingering mocha finish
RegionMayacamas Range, Sonoma County, CA
Aging PotentialDrink now through 2025+
Betsy's love of wine was fostered by a move to Bordeaux with her family in 1975 where she explored the wines and cheeses of southwestern France. After returning to California to attend college she went to work in a small wine shop where her interest grew and she opened her own boutique wine store. She then sold the shop and moved to Dry Creek Valley where she helped with the startup of Lake Sonoma Winery, working both in the vineyards and in wine production.
Betsy's continued interest in European wines led her to Dallas, Texas to join the fine wine team of a large importing company. This is where she met Peter, who charmed her with a keen sense of wine and an amazing wine cellar. They fell in love, and married on one condition: that they would ultimately move back to her beloved California. When they moved they decided to buy a vineyard and sell the grapes but when it came time to do so they decided to take the plunge and make their own wines instead.
Their experience with the wines of great producers around the world over the past 40 years has been invaluable. Peter and Betsy take the best ideas and techniques they've learned from European and California winemakers and apply them to their own wines.
They strive to create food-friendly, unique wines that are memorable and blend seamlessly into the occasion. Memorable in their purity, authenticity, distinctiveness, and enjoyment, seamless in how they integrate into the setting, whether it be with friends on the patio or accompanying a formal dinner. Whatever the time or place, Spann Vineyards will linger pleasurably on your palate and in your memory.
"This is the last vintage from our Estate Vineyard in the Mayacamas Mountains, which we sold in 2017. From our 40+ years in the wine business, we know that the volcanic soil, sun exposure and climate make this area the best place in North America to grow Bordeaux grape varieties. Cabernet sauvignon is the most popular grape variety in the world because of its’ powerful flavors and rich texture. We love adding other Bordeaux varietals with it to soften the tannins and create a smooth and complex wine." –Winemaker Betsy Spann
- As with all vintages from our Mayacamas Range vineyard, the grapes were de-stemmed and then crushed by foot in open top half-ton bins to get dark color without bitterness or astringency. Each varietal was barrel-aged separately before blending and bottling.
- Fermented in open top bins, hand punched down and foot-trodden. Full malolactic fermentation for all varietals was completed in 59 gallon oak barrels.
- Barrel Aging: 30 months in new and 2nd use 59 gallon French oak.