Spann Vineyards 2014 Cross Creek Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Moon Mountain District, Sonoma County, CA
Special Wine Club Selection!
- Color: medium garnet
- Aromas: cassis, black cherry, wood ash, licorice, black truffle, eucalyptus
- Palate: rustic and elegant with dark cherry, English Breakfast Tea, black olive, barnyard and silky tannins
RegionMoon Mountain District of Sonoma County, CA
Aging PotentialEnjoy through 2029 or beyond
Betsy's love of wine was fostered by a move to Bordeaux with her family in 1975 where she explored the wines and cheeses of southwestern France. After returning to California to attend college she went to work in a small wine shop where her interest grew and she opened her own boutique wine store. She then sold the shop and moved to Dry Creek Valley where she helped with the startup of Lake Sonoma Winery, working both in the vineyards and in wine production.
Betsy's continued interest in European wines led her to Dallas, Texas to join the fine wine team of a large importing company. This is where she met Peter, who charmed her with a keen sense of wine and an amazing wine cellar. They fell in love, and married on one condition: that they would ultimately move back to her beloved California. When they moved they decided to buy a vineyard and sell the grapes but when it came time to do so they decided to take the plunge and make their own wines instead.
Their experience with the wines of great producers around the world over the past 40 years has been invaluable. Peter and Betsy take the best ideas and techniques they've learned from European and California winemakers and apply them to their own wines.
They strive to create food-friendly, unique wines that are memorable and blend seamlessly into the occasion. Memorable in their purity, authenticity, distinctiveness, and enjoyment, seamless in how they integrate into the setting, whether it be with friends on the patio or accompanying a formal dinner. Whatever the time or place, Spann Vineyards will linger pleasurably on your palate and in your memory.
- The grapes from this vineyard are used in our Cabernet Sauvignon Mayacamas Range blend every year. In great vintages we choose a few of the best barrels for a single vineyard bottling and 2014 was one of those years when the fruit was perfectly ripe and perfectly balanced.
- Fermented in open top bins, hand punched down and foot trodden. Full malolactic fermentation was completed in 59 gallon oak barrels.
- Aged in 100% new, medium toast 59 gallon French oak barrels barrels for 30 months, then bottle aged for six months prior to release.