Tonti Family Wines
Region: Russian River Valley, Sonoma, CA
Many Zinfandels are termed "Old Vine" for marketing appeal. While a 25 year old Cabernet Sauvignon vine is deemed old, 25 years is considered quite young by Zinfandel standards. This Zinfandel is truly "old vine", planted 116 years ago and well cultivated during that time. It produces less fruit than younger plants but the small intense berries are ideal for opulent and concentrated flavors.
In the glass, the wine's appearance is rich like red velvet. The nose has pleasing aromas of black cherry, plum, anise, dried figs and herbs, along with hints of toffee. A lively palate starts with ripe black fruits, boysenberry and clove. The flavors are numerous and satisfying as they continue with cola, bramble, leather and black tea. The finish is spicy, but not jammy, and finishes clean with medium tannins.
Grapes100% Old Vine Zinfandel
RegionRussian River Valley, Sonoma County, CA
AgeabilityDrink now through 2019
- Produced from 116 year-old vines
- Head trained (or spur pruning) and trimmed
- Dry farmed
- Indigenous yeasts used for fermentation
- Gold Medal San Francisco International Wine Competition – February 2015
- 92pts by Tastings.com, Anthony Dias Blue –Chicago - February 2015
- Gold Medal Award of Excellence – Beverage Testing Institute – Chicago - February 2015
- Gold Medal Orange County Wine Society – June 2015