MacPhail Family Wines 2012 "Rita's Crown Vineyard" Pinot Noir
Region: Santa Rita Hills, Santa Barbara, CA
Lovers of Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills are loyal evangelists and know the complexity, quality and age ability of these wines. While MacPhail Family Wines is located in Sonoma County, they jumped at the chance to make a wine from Santa Rita Hills for inclusion in their robust Pinot Noir portfolio.
Intense and dense purple in appearance, it is apparent right away this is not your average Pinot Noir. A penetrating fruit forward nose of blackberry, plum, black cherry, cinnamon, clove and violets intermingle tantalizingly. The palate is complex with incredible structure. Flavors of blueberry, currants meld with smoke, cola, floral and bakeshop notes to lead to medium tannins and a long concentrated lingering finish.
Grapes100% Pinot Noir
RegionRita's Crown Vineyard, Santa Rita Hills AVA, Santa Barbara, CA
AgeabilityThis wine will continue to evolve beautifully over the next 12-15 years
- Grapes are hand-picked, hand sorted twice and 100% de-stemmed.
- Fermented with indigenous yeast and as needed added yeast strains.
- Aged 11 months sur lie in French Oak, 40% new oak barrels.
- 92 - Cellar Selection Wine Enthusiast
- 90 - Tasting Panel Magazine
- 90 - The Pinot Report